People think that camping is difficult, but that is only true for campers determined to detach from civilization altogether. If you’re anything like me, you probably live and breath camping because it forces you to abandon all the comforts that modern technology offers.
It wasn’t all smooth sailing, in fact me and comfort versus the wilderness was a challenge until I stumbled across the best watt power inverters for campers and camping. Then I realized that I could bask in the wonders of the great outdoors without missing out on my favorite Netflix shows.
Deciding on If a Power Inverter is Right For You
If you don’t know for sure whether or not a camping power inverter is right for you, the answers to the following question will probably change your mind:
What are Camping Power Inverters?
Camping power inverters are a portable continuous power bank source and can be used as a battery management system. It is the equivalent of bringing a generator to a campsite, though inverters do not make as much noise.
An inverter turns direct current into alternating current. Using your car battery, an inverter can run appliances like laptops and hair dryers.
How to Use a Camping Recreation Vehicle Inverter?
To use your inverter, you must place it between the battery and the breaker. Because appliances run on alternating current, the inverter will draw direct current from the battery and change it to alternative current.
Because you cannot plug the devices directly into your rv power inverter sockets, you can achieve similar results by plugging them into the inverter.
What Size Power Inverter Do I Need for Camping?
Inverters range between 150 and 6000 watts. For the most part, the need will determine the size. If you don’t want it to blow a fuse when a power surge power occurs, you should get an inverter double the size of the draw it will encounter.
This will also ensure that the unit works within its capacity.
How Long Will My Battery Last?
The longevity of your battery is measured in Amp-hours. To determine the Amp-hours of your battery, take its total continuous power, and divide it by ten.
This will show you the Amps a 12-volt supply will draw. Once you know the amps that will be drawn, divide the battery size by this figure to get the number of hours the battery will last.
Best Power Station Inverters for Camping – Our Recommended List
Jackery Portable Power Inverter Station Explorer 160
Best Power Station Inverter
This reliable and efficient portable power station inverter easily outstrips many of its competitors and is consistently ranked as the best power inverter for camping.
Boasting multiple charging options and quiet operations, the pure sine wave inverter will give essential gadgets like laptops and smartphones all the power they need to serve your needs during your camping trip.
You will be hard-pressed to find a better solution for charging low voltagepower devices.
- The unit is designed to charge devices quickly without depleting its battery
- It comes with an AC power outlet, USB-C and A ports, and a DC to AC power 12V port
- Allows for solar panel inputs for supply continuous power
- Reliable power inverter use it as a dedicated car sine wave power inverter
- Too small to power items like power tools and coffee makers that exceed 100 watts
- Solar panels must be purchased separately
- Only one DC to AC power outlet
FOVAL 150W Car Inverter
Our runner up pick
One of the smallest units around, this inverter, is capable of converting 12V DC to 110V AC, but it includes an AC power outlet and a two USB 3.1 power outlets.
The lightweight inverter connects to your vehicle via the cigarette lighter. It will keep items like air pumps, laptops, and DSLR Cameras charged.
It has been praised for its durability and versatility, which is why it secures such a high ranking.
- The portable power bank unit is lightweight
- It has quiet operations
- Customers get an 18-month warranty
- The modified sine case is not heavy duty and scratches easily
- The internal fuse is difficult to replace
- The internal temperature control cooling fan is somewhat noisy
AIMS 3000 Watt Pure Modified Sine Wave Power Inverter
Premium surge protection
This inverter stands out because it provides sufficient protection against high voltage, low voltage, overloading, and short circuit protection, to mention but a few.
It has mechanisms that seamlessly and automatically switch between shore (or generator) and inverter power bank. You can use it with mobile homes and businesses, not to mention boats and trucks.
- It is compatible with heavy-duty electronic devices and power tools
- The unit is compact. It doesn’t consume much space
- It doesn’t overheat
- Battery consumption is fast
- Customer service is lacking
- The voltage drops and does not provide much power from time to time
Flash Fish 81000mAh 300W Portable Power Station
A great all-rounder
With a 110V ac power outlet, a pair of dc input voltage and dc output, two QC quick charge two USB Ports (3.0), and a 2.4A Auto USB port, this inverter provides a variety of charging options.
Compatible with everything from a smartphone to a camera, and even drones, you can use the inverter for travel and as a power backup source at home. At 4.07 pounds, it is lightweight, effortless to carry because of the soft handle.
Expect a bright LCD screen, all-round protection, and a 12-month warranty.
- Multiple ac power output options
- It has mechanisms that protect against overheating and overtaxing
- 12-month warranty make sure you can try it out extensively
- No overcharging protection
- Not suitable for appliances whose requirements exceed an output of 200 watts
- Pure sine wave power takes a while to recharge fully
BESTEK 300W Power Inverter
Popular and highly rated
This unit is up there as almost the best power inverter for camping and uses a pair of USB ports (0-2.4A) to charge devices that are USB compatible, and another couple of 110V AC power outlets to contend with more substantial items like laptops.
The compact and lightweight build makes the inverter compatible with campers and travelers.
It uses a 24-inch cigarette lighter plug. This makes the unit a fit for most vehicles. Expect defenses against overheating, over-voltage charging, under-voltage charging, and short circuits.
The metal housing is durable enough to survive the rigors of camping.
- Durable metal housing
- Silent operations
- Compatible with most cars
- Built-in fuse is difficult to replace
- Not compatible with more cumbersome appliances
- A short power adapter cord
GoWISE Power PS1004
Small, compact, powerful
This unit provides safeguards against overloading, over-voltage, under-voltage, weak wave inverters, and thermal voltage.
At 9.9 pounds, it is small, compact, and light enough to accompany you on your travels. Though, you can also rely on it during peak power failure emergencies to protect sensitive equipment.
You can use it in cars, on boats, at campsites, and worksites. Expect 3 AC outlets, an LED Light that alerts users to specific problems, a USB Port (5V), and an instruction manual.
- Multiple protection systems
- Detailed instruction manual
- Compatible with sensitive equipment
- The cooling fan is too loud for some people
- Too expensive for some
- The design of the remote control is poor
AIPER 150W Portable Power Station
The quiet Power inverter
This inverter has a larger capacity where the battery power is concerned, which is why it can power your gadgets for more extended periods.
Compatible with phones, tablets, mini fans, television sets, and the like, the unit has a compact body that weighs just 3.5 pounds, making transportation quite easy.
There are safeguards in place that provide short circuit, over-current, over-power, over-temperature, and low sine wave power protection. The quiet inverter can charge an iPhone an impressive twenty times.
- The unit has various protections
- It comes with a 12-month warranty
- Lightweight with practical dc power safety features
- Doesn’t work with medium or high-powered electronic devices.
- It refuses to charge devices when it is low on powerfully
- Power supply depletes quickly
Bapdas 150W Car Power Inverter
A lightweight and fast converter
This unit comes with 110 Volt AC outlets and two 2.1A and 1A USB charging ports. It is capable of fast charging smartphones and tablets. You can also use it to power gaming consoles, television sets, Christmas lights, and the like.
Boasting a compact and lightweight design, the inverter is quite easy to use. It has a cigarette lighter plug that should be compatible with your vehicle.
Expect a cooling fan and protections against overloading, overheating, short circuits, low and over-voltage. The manufacturer provides an 18-month warranty.
- Multiple safeguards
- 18-month warranty
- Lightweight and compact
- Becomes warm over time
- The power cord is short
VertaMax Pure Sine Wave 12V Power Inverter
LED Display Can show DC battery voltage and Watts
This unit comes with three AC outlets and an LCD display that monitors power consumption. The grounded AC outlets have individual circuit breakers.
A hard-wired terminal block makes permanent AC connections possible. With this inverter, you can power everything from television sets and gaming consoles to microwaves and air conditioners.
It is compatible with both light and heavy-duty appliances. You should expect over and low voltage protection, thermal shutdown, and reverse polarity protection.
Some people think that it’s too expensive, but others will tell you that the price is worth the functions the inverter brings to the table.
- It comes with a 1-year warranty
- Protection against low voltage, over-voltage, short circuits, etc.
- LCD display allows you to monitor power usage and battery voltage
- Expensive modified sine wave
- Some people have criticized the watt gauge for not being accurate
BESTEK 2000W Power Inverter
Power up your essential appliances
With a little more grunt than the previously listed 300w Bestek, this 2000w Power Inverter should be more than enough to power up your camping gadgets and appliances.
Like the Vertamax this Bestek 2000w comes with 3 AC outputs and a single USB that is such a convenience when you have to power 3-4 items and devices at once.
The Bestek 2000w does come with some important features such as the LCD screen which provides cricital information at a glance.
Safety functions include audible alarms and automatic shutdowns if a critical incident occurs such as a short-circuit or overheating.
- 4 outlets which is the sweet spot for multi gadget charging.
- LCD display allows you to monitor wattages, input voltage and screen fault codes
- Bulkier than most camping inverters